Saturday, January 14, 2012

Crock Pot Orange Chicken

This was a new creation for me. I love Chinese food, but don't love that it is most of the time fried pieces of chicken. The original recipe called for coating the chicken in flour and frying it in oil until crispy. So of course I needed skip that step and make it healthier! I also chose to add all of the veggies, as the original recipe called for none. This was a great hit! My kids ate it and from the mouth of my husband, "This is fantastic!" I thought so too! Enjoy!


Crock Pot Orange Chicken
Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
½ Tbsp olive oil
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 can water chestnuts, drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 Tbsp brown sugar

In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup.
Pour a olive oil in a skillet and brown the chicken.
The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.
After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot. Add all of the veggies. Then cover the chicken and veggies with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
Serve over brown rice, if desired.

Serves 4: 320 calories per serving (not counting rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment