Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vomacka Soup

Vomacka Soup is a Czechoslovakian vegetable soup. I have never heard of this until I went out to eat at a restaurant in New Prague, MN called the Fish Tail. This is their specialty soup! My sister talking me into trying it. Eventhough I am more of a "salad before dinner than soup before dinner", kind of person, I trusted her judgement and gave it a try! Wow! It was great!! So I searched for a recipe and found one. Of course, you know me and taking recipes and making them my own by making them healthier, so I did modify this somewhat to make it healthier, without compromising taste! It was wonderful!!!

Vomacka Soup

2 Tbsp Butter
½ cup onion, diced ½ inch
½ cup carrots, diced ½ inch
½ cup celery, diced ½ inch
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Flour
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 Tbsp dill weed
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp pickling spice
3 Tbsp chicken bouillon cubes
3 medium potatoes, diced ½ inch
1 can green beans
1 cup Fat-Free Half & Half
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Melt better in a large pot. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are tender and clear. Add flour and stir slowly with a wooden spoon for two minutes, eliminating any lumps. Don’t brown.
Add chicken stock, bouillon and dill. Place peppercorns and pickling spice in a cheesecloth or tea strainers, add to sauce and bring to a slow boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add potatoes and beans, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.


Heat half and half to a simmer and add slowly to soup. Remove pickling spice and peppercorn and add in vinegar.

5 Servings
195 calories per serving


9 comments:

  1. Katie,

    When you're famous, may I be your sous-chef?

    Love,
    MOM M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. March 29 2014.. I just had this soup at the Fish Tail today. It was so good! I am going to try making it at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave the V off for correct spelling.
    ask a Czech....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had some good vomacka at Dozinky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. By the way...the restaurant name is Fishtale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family and I are from the neighboring Czech town of Montgomery and have had Vomacka our entire lives. Try adding carrots along with the other vegatables. And....we boiled eggs, peeled them and added them to the soup at the end of the preparation - serve whole and cut up in your bowl. Never serve very hot and always have some vinegar on the table to add "as desired."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fish Tail Vomacka is the best. A must try if you are ever in New Prague MN.

    Local New Prague resident and Czechoslovakian

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Vomacka and yes, I am Czech. I grew in Czech Republic but now live in Canada.
    I make the same soup but no pickling spices and less potatoes. I am making it with fresh green or yellow beans . But we do not call it " Vomacka" (that would be funny). It had to be Mr. Vomacka bringing it on this continent. Because the main ingredient are beans(little more than in this recipe)...we called it sour green bean soup(loosely translated) in Czech Republic. I love it as well. I will try the pickling spices next time.
    Vomacka is fairly common last name in Czech republic.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like what my Czech Grandma used to make. We (children) called it (disparagingly) Polish Potato Soup. My grandma's phonetic spelling name for it was Virmauchka. Fat Free Half and Half is Oxymoronic. Leave out the vinegar and maybe I could have stomached it. My Grandma and parents loved it. I fasted until the next morning.

    ReplyDelete